Irritated by dry, gritty, sticky eyes this winter?
Along with the cold winter temps comes decreased humidity outdoors and even lower humidity indoors. Indoor heating creates warm, dry conditions which causes moisture to evaporate from the eye faster than normal.
Following are some ways to help combat the dry eye winter blues…
• Use a humidifier to help restore humidity to the air and moisture to the eyes.
• Drink lots of fluids to keep your body hydrated and maintain moisture in your eyes.
• Protect your eyes from extreme cold and wind. That can include eye protection or a hat with a visor.
• Don’t let heat blow directly onto your face. Doing so can dry up moisture in your eyes. Turn your car vents toward your lower body to avoid this problem.
• If symptoms persist, ask your eye doctor about over-the-counter eye drops or ointment that can help keep your eyes moist and comfortable this winter!